Friday, August 1

3 Zombies

The cold turkey is painful to Jaimie and it is torturing for Clement and myself.

Last night was the 5th night that Jaimie went to bed at night without her pacifier. It was the worst night so far and it was made worse when this week was an absolutely crazy week for both Clement and I at work. Plus, we already haven't been sleeping well for the past 4 nights.

Jaimie was very angry and upset in her sleep last night. She refused to listen to us and kicked a fuss out of everything. For more than 5 times last night, she leashed out her frustration through crying. Both Clement and I had an extremely long and hard day yesterday but we had to (or at least I had to) control ourselves for not screaming and shouting at the little one. For the past few nights, Jaimie would sleep ok after some midnight milk. The trick didn't work last night. Sigh~~!!
This morning, one zombie with super dark circles was driving the car, another zombie with a headache was yawning away in the front passenger seat and one grouchy zombie was strapped to the child seat.

Today is another long and hard day for us. I hope Jaimie will spare a thought for us and sleep better tonight...

7 voices:

stardust said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stardust said...

I re-looked at your "Cold Turkey" post and read that you told Jae that you had leave the pacifier with some uncle. Is she still thinking she can get it back next time?

I think you have to find another reason to get her "willing" to stop sucking the pacifier. Add some chilli or whatever bitter to the pacifier and make her turn off by the taste.

You have to wean her off the pacifier from afternoon nap as well now at the same. I do not think she can understand why she can have pacifier in the afternoon at por por's house but not at night. That is why she can get so angry.

Lydia said...

Must be quite a scarry sight huh? lol. Beside cold turkey, what about talking to her about being a big girl? 懂事的媛媛应该比较会被说服吧?

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Withdrawal symptom kicks in! You know, one of our June mummies' boy refused to sleep in his sarong and stroller after he vomited in them. Perhaps if you showed Jae that her pacifier dropped into something disgusting, she'll swear off it for good? Well now, if only I could talk my 9mo baby out of finger-sucking... Jiayou and continue to update us.

Meekfreek said...

Hmmm...is it neccessary to take away the pacifier at all? Won't kids decide on their own when they don't want it?
I can't speak from experience though because Izzy was never keen.

Anonymous said...

Hi Clement & Angie,

I did something w my girl when I was weaning her off the pacifier.

When her last one "die" (become inflated) on her, I told her that she's a big girl now and she just have to decide to contiune to suck on the flat one or she had to throw it away and ask for it no more.

We were near the dustbin when I told her that. She take a look at the pacifier and throw it away herself and never ask for it since that night.

I'm not sure that will work on Jae, as my girl was bwt 22-26 mths old.

Hope this help.

Clement said...

thks for all the tips and advice.

What many of you have suggested involve generating situations where the child decides to stop wanting the pacifier - a conscious psycological choice exercised by the himself. I think Jae has now already passed this stage. Last night, she no longer asked for the pacifier, and I understand that the same happened during her afternoon nap at my in-laws', where she knows her other pacifer is available.

What is happening now, I believe, is something more physiological. Her body and subconscious mind is still undergoing the adjustment period of not having the item in her mouth during sleep. Yah, it really is some form of withdrawal symptom arising from a change in a two-year-old habit. It's a matter of conditioning lah. We'd just have to give her body time to get used to it, and in the meantime we'd just hv to bear with the dark circles lor.