Tuesday, July 29

Cold Turkey

Now we know why the pacifier is called the pacifier. It really has a pacifying effect on toddlers!

Jaimie has not been sucking her pacifier for the past 2 nights. We had wanted to wean her off but we just didn't have the chance to do so. On Sunday when I was unpacking our overnight bags, I thought I forgot to bring back Jaimie's pacifier from the chalet! When I broke the news to Jaimie, she was all panciky and requested us to get a new one for her. I was panicky too because I wasn't sure if she would be able to sleep well without her pacifier. I was quite relieved when I found the pacifier which I dumped in another bag but Clement suggested we put it away.

As Jaimie was very tired after the chalet, she fell asleep quite soon and slept for 2 hours without her favourite "jeet-jeet". When she woke up, we praised her for being such a grown up girl. However, as the evening approached, she requested that we get her a new pacifier. I told her her pacifier was with Uncle YS and I pretended to make a phone call to YS to ask him to safe keep Jaimie's pacifier until we meet again.

Jaimie was somewhat pacified with my phonecall which I sounded as if I was really talking to YS.

For the 2 nights without the pacifier, Jaimie took a long time to fall asleep and she couldn't sleep well. She would wake up in the middle of the night and got angry with everything. I had to give her some milk so that she could go back to sleep again. So poor Clement and I now have even darker circles now due to serious lack of sleep for the past few days.

Jaimie still gets to suck her pacifier when she takes her afternoon nap at por-por's place. We had no "reason" to tell her she cannot take her pacifier there since she knew that it's available at por-por's house. We thought it was also a less drastic change for her. Her afternoon naps are usually easier to handle. If she can wean off the pacifier at night, we think it'll be easier to wean her off in the afternoon.

According to my best friend Happypig, she shared with me that her daughter took about a week to get use to it. I am hoping Jaimie will take not longer than 1 week too! I need my beauty sleep!

5 voices:

LZmommy said...

Hahaha! Mummy can act huh :) Perhaps by now your girl has 'quit' the habit :) It took less than a week for my girl when she was 1 yr old so hope the same for Jaimie.

Angie said...

Thanks, Jane! :) that's very encouraging!

Anonymous said...

Charmaine was like Jaimie too - she wld constantly ask for milk in the middle of the nite - juz to satisfy her 'sucking' crave... hehe... this stage will pass soon. =)

Aces Family said...

Hi Angie,

We used the "chilli" trick and anthea threw away the pacifier on her own account. It took just one day..hee : P

regards,
astee

Anonymous said...

My elder one was addicted to his pacifier (all because I wasn't the one taking care of him- *Urgghhh*)...Everything failed not even the chilli trick which so many of my friends uses...until EXPLAINATION (with a trick) itself...we explained to him why he should and he accepted, he was 3 years old then in 2006 december, I still remember...