Friday, December 5

Climbing 妈妈的心得 之六

Jaimie hasn't been very good at climbing up bars and we I do not usually encourage Jaimie to climb on structures unless either Clement and myself are physically close to her.

I brought Jaimie to play at the playground at Bt Panjang Plaza while waiting for daddy to join us for dinner. While Jaimie was enjoying herself at the plaground, I sat at the benches nearby to rest. When Jaimie looked at me for approval before she climbed up the bars, I instinctively rose to my feet and wanted to walk over to assist her. However, I decided to do something different today. I continued to sit down and took out my camera instead.

I observed the little one as she cautiously attempted to climb up and down the different bar structures. She was definitely more careful and confident when she was on her own than with me standing behind her. And she was better than I thought!

Ahhh~~ so it was my presence that has hindered her independence in climbing up the bars and denied her confidence in doing so!

It is a mother's instinct to protect our children but we need to remind ourselves to let go. That is the more difficult part.

p/s: If you are interested in reading my thoughts as a mom, here are some of my older posts written in Chinese.

5 voices:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand what you are saying... the "want-to-let-go" yet "can't-let-go" kind of feeling....

Joyce Long said...

Me..too..I try to let go too..Jae is more conscious when climb..but my Cherr is garang..you know wha I mean right when you see her at the My Gym..

Shana said...

Yes, we'll try to let go but our hearts sure beat faster when they nearly miss a step on the ladder or they trip & almost fell down, right?

Lydia said...

That red ladder seems hard to climb with just plain poles and such a wide gap... Jae is really brave to conquer that! Did you help her down?

Shiny Stars said...

Yes I agree we are always on watchful eyes when they did things we think are 'challenging'.

Motherhood really strengthens our heart!