Saturday, March 10

Petals Around the Rose

Met Gobi in Windows Messenger for the first time last night. He logged on at almost precisely the moment I made the decision to shut down the PC and get to bed. It was 0052hrs.

After some exchanges, he asked if I would like to have the Singapore Zoo pass which he was holding on to, but couldn't make use of because of Pam's last minute committment over the weekends. I said yes, and we made arrangements to meet up in the morning, at 0800hrs at the foyer of his block (just a street away from mine).

When we met up this morning, besides having the Zoo pass change hands, he remarked that there was this "game", which could be played on the internet, which had him stumped.

"It is called "Petals Around the Rose" and basically it involves throwing of dice and then you're to guess the 'roll' for each throw. The name of the game is supposed to be the clue. Apparently Bill Gates played this and like solved it after one and a half hours"

"So you're supposed to do what? Break the code? Find the formula issit?"

"Yah. Hey, if you solve it, you have to tell me the secret ok? Don't leave me having sleepless nites over this!"

"Walow...you think too highly of me lah. IF I solve it, then say."

And we parted ways.

It was quite an eventful day today. We made a trip to the Zoo right after having bf in the car (大包). In the afternoon, we shuttled down to Suntec, to the IT Show 2007, where Angie purchased a DELL Inspirion 640m laptop. She only told me this morning after we woke up that "I think I shall buy a laptop with Wifi capabilities." I said "Ok, I will help you source which are the star buys you can get over at the ongoing IT Show at Suntec." And that was it. Sounds like an impulsive, spur of the moment thing? No lah...this is typical of what happens in this family.

While driving home from Suntec after evacuating from the uncomfortably congested mall, I sms'd Gobi to tell him that I'd drop off the Zoo pass into his letter box. He said ok.

"Any luck with the rose qn?"

"Nt tried yet. Morning zoo. Nw juz coming bk fr IT show."

Ok...I thought. Now he has really gotten me curious. Must try this later. And I did.
After reading the descriptions on the website, and the constant reminder that the "name of the game" is the important clue to breaking the code, I tried out the game proper.
Now this is gonna sound like quite haolian...but actually, it didn't take me long at all. It really helped that I jotted down the throw combinations and their corresponding results and then just stared at these lines until I could see that "pattern". The rush that I felt when the answer suddenly struck me was exhilarating. Wow! I wasted no time in verifying my hypothesis at the website with another 4 throws, and was shouting out silently inside when they were all correct. Whoa.

Guess who my immediate next sms went to? Hahahaa.

I am not gonna tell him the answer but give him some clues and encouragement so he could have a chance to experience the high of solving the puzzle by himself. Good luck, Gobi.

For anyone reading this who wishes to have a go at the game, here's the link:
http://www.borrett.id.au/computing/petals-j.htm

All the best!

0 voices: