Thursday, January 21

Recipe For Long Bean Rice

Me: Mommy, my friends are asking me about your long bean rice. What's the recipe?

Mom: Is it? They tasted it?

Me: No lah. I posted up in my blog. Some friends asked for your recipe because it looks good.

Mom: First you wash the rice.

Me: *roll eyes*

Mom: Then you add a pinch of salt and some seasoning if you prefer.

Me: Then?

Mom: Then press the rice cooker lor.

Me: *roll eyes*

Mom: Fry some dried shrimp, mushroom, and pork slices. Ah, mushroom must cut into strips hor. Add some lap cheong (chinese sausage) or lap yok (chinese dried meat). This is a must. It makes all the difference. Lastly you add the long beans. Long beans must cut into small pieces lah. Then you fry fry fry.

Me: How much lap cheong or lap yok?

Mom: Huh? Up to you one mah. No need too much. But cannot too little.

Me: *roll eyes* Ok....then?

Mom: Add seasoning. A pinch of salt, some pepper and dark soy sauce.

Me: How much dark soy sauce?

Mom: You agar-agar lor.

Me: Orr. (sigh)

Mom: Pour in the stuff into the rice cooker when the rice is almost cooked. Stir well. Wait for the switch to jump. And it's done. Very simple.

Me: Ya... very simple. I'll tell my friends.

Mom: Do you want some long beans? I still have some in my fridge.

Me: Oh no no no. I will just take home some when you cook long bean rice.

Mom: You know har, that day I went to Shop and Save, the long bean was only $2 per kg. Guess how much it was in the wet market?

Me: Huh? Oh. How much?

Mom: $4 ahhhhh!!!! So ridiculous right? But the vegetables in Shop and Save is not always fresh. Sometimes fresh only. NTUC is better. You know, that day I bought....

Me: *bored to tears*

9 voices:

wolfgirl said...

My mum's version has yam cubes and carrots cubes and roasted pork.. (sio ba/ siu yok) but no dark soya sauce.

Angie said...

if my mom puts yam cubes, she'll call it "yam rice".

my MIL's version has no long beans but cabbage instead. no dark soy sauce too. she calls it "giam berng" (salted rice).

Jesspastry said...

hi where do u got your Seaweed puncher? :)

happypig said...

我放调味料也从来都不用量的。哪里还有时间去拿汤匙?:-)

crazymommy said...

hahaha... seriously hor... a good housewife *ahem!* dun really need the exact recipe. Just agar agar can already!

Don't throw rotten eggs at me ah!
I run away...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! Appreciate yr time and effort to type and share it with us :) Sandra @ Melb

Lydia said...

Angie! Your mom sooooooooooooooooo cute!! LOVE reading her, haha! She sounded so much like my mom... esp. that "Up to you one mah" and "agar-agar", lol!

I like how she went on to chat with you... ahh, i miss chatting with my mommy! :)

Aces Family said...

hi Angie,

When i read this, i can relate to it...cos whenever i asked my master chef aka my dad for his dishes recipes, i always hear "agar agar"...haha.. : P

Thanks for sharing, will try the "agar agar" recipe.

levine said...

sounds like my mom too! always very eager to "chuan" her skill to me but i'm not really into cooking. but will try yr rice one of these day. ;)