Monday, September 29

Hello Again, Kitty

The "Lantern Fantasy 2008" exhibition was held at the Chinese Gardens for an entire month from 28 Aug 08 till 28 Sep 08. It literally spanned across both the Olympics and the Formula 1 events. That was why they cleverly put up lantern displays featuring the various Olympic sports, and also Hello Kitty and her many adorable friends in multicoloured F1 racers.

On each of the Saturdays (and also the first and final Fridays) during this period, there were even fireworks displays. These were actually really small-scale affairs and frankly speaking quite pathetic (especially since it wasn't too long ago that we have been wowed by the spectacle that was the Beijing Olympics opening). Nevertheless, every Saturday, Jaimie would still be thrilled whenever I bring her to the bedroom window at 8:30pm, to gaze across Jurong Lake at the mini pyrotechnics flashing and popping in the darkened skies. At the end of each session, Jae would, without fail, ask that we bring her to see Hello Kitty again.

"要看Hello Kitty! Please..."
"喏。Hello Kitty就在那里啰。"
"要进去!"
"爸爸妈妈不是已经带你进去去看过了吗?"
"要再去看!Please..."
"Ok, ok....如果你乖乖的话,爸爸妈妈就带你去。好吗?"
"好!"

So, when I realised that yesterday was the final day of the lantern exhibition, and that tickets would be sold at half price (!!), I decided to make good of the promises I have made. Nick came by in the afternoon for some jamming (he brought along the PS3 "Rock Band" game, with guitar and mic!), and decided to also come along since his boy Ayden has never visited the Chinese Gardens.

The photos turned out fairly nicely. I attribute this to the lens upgrade I'd gotten recently, when I found that my EFS 18-35mm kit lens had signs of fungal growth - no doubt due to my extended procrastination over the purchase of a proper dry cabinet for my camera equipment. The lens I bought is a second-hand EF 28-135mm lens. This is an ultrasonic lens. with image stabilisation feature. I find that it is working pretty well, delivering faster focus and sharper pics than my previous kit lens. Of course, immediately after procuring the new lens, I also went ahead to get that long overdue dry cabinet to make sure history would not repeat itself.

Alright, enough of talk.






9 voices:

Joyce Long said...

Wow..the photos are very nicely taken....Jae keep smiling..so happy..carrying the lanterns..

Noe said...

小小俏姑娘,真可爱!
Noticed that you added link to your shots. Were there pictures taken without your permission?

Wondering if I should go about doing that too. =(

Clement said...

joyce, thanks. :)

noe, thankfully no.

i only put in the watermark becos the latest version of picasa (version 3 beta) has this feature tat enables me to do this very simply. it is too easy...the watermark is automatically stamped onto each of my exported pics.

hv u downlaoded and tried picasa 3 yet? if not, quickly go get it. it is MUCH better than the previous version. Lovin' it!

Rachel said...

didn't know its still on, would have brought my kids there..

like the last pic, so cute!

Idy said...

媛媛的女人味渐渐散发出来了 :)

Anonymous said...

Damn! I didn't know that! Oh man! if I knew it was at half-price! I would be there too! *sigh*

that last pose is good enough for those kiddos most photogenic competition lor!

Noe said...

Improved version!
Oh yeah Clement, I am right on it.
Thank you sir!

Grace said...

wow, very nice shots!

Lydia said...

Fireworks every Saturday?? From the bedroom window??? Hey, it would be a treat to all of us!

Nice pictures, esp. the fish and the one with mama. The last one is the best, Jae looks so sweet in her little sundress :)

Keep posting papa!! Make full use of your EF 28-135mm lens and take nice pictures of your girls too!