Sunday, September 7

Bento Style Dinner @ Home

We met YS and family in IMM for brunch. Inevitably, I was gravitated to Daiso and walked out of the $2 shop with another bag of bento-related stuff. I think why bento is so addicting is because the SHOPPING part of it doubles up the fun!

Since I bought so much stuff and so much ingredients, I invited YS's family to come over in the evening for a swim and have a bento-style dinner together. Actually, the Giant at IMM is a wonderful place to get all the things you need to cook a bento. The sushi counter in Giant has a wonderful variety. No need to go to Cold Storage.

I was wondering if I should serve the food in lunchboxes or plates. In the end, I chose plate because it would look a little silly to serve the guests with lunchboxes at home although it is easier to pack a lunchbox than a plate.

Tip number 1: I used those noodle snacks to hold the ears and the mouth. It looked great but after a while, the noodles turned soggy and the ears were going to fall off anytime.

Tip number 2: Bacon wrapped tomato is yummy!

This is what the guests had. I was very busy in the kitchen and serving the children so I only managed to take one picture. I realised that I bought the different types of kamaboko from Meekfreek. No wonder I couldn't figure out what she meant when she said "peel it like a mango skin" in order to cut out the shapes. I tried to cut it into rabbit as what the Japanese bento recipe books suggested. Arrgghhh~~ failed. Nevermind.
And I realised another thing... Jaimie doesn't like the rice I cooked. :( She eats the steam rice at Sakae Sushi, so it's not short grain rice she is rejecting. Sigh.

1 voices:

Rachel said...

that's so cute!!