Sunday, July 27

Crocs or not?

I think crocs shoes look very nice on children's feet especially the Disney series but the ridiculous price of $50++ a pair really puts me off. I would think it is reasonable if the price is halved (still it is expensive even if it is halved price for a pair of rubber shoes!). It is not that I cannot afford the crocs shoes but I feel that it is not justified for a child to have a pair of RUBBER SLIPPERS more expensive than her daddy's leather shoes (yes, daddy buys his leather shoes during super sales) and mommy's heels (yes, mommy has a lot of shoes but they are all budget shoes). Furthermore, Jaimie might outgrow her crocs pretty fast!

Recently, we saw many of my friends' children wearing crocs shoes and they look so cool in it, I am a little tempted to give in and bend my principles.

Shall I buy it???

There are other reasons which stopped me from buying crocs shoes: (1) safety reasons. We have read enough of crocs got stuck in escalators. Our blogging friend, Astee's son, almost had an accident at the escalator earlier this year. (2) children cannot run in crocs. Jaimie is an active girl and I'm afraid she'll trip herself in crocs if she runs in them.

Urrrrggghhh~~~~

Maybe I should not buy crocs afterall. Or I should? Or not? Maybe? Perhaps not?

Ohhhhh~~!!! Come on, Angie!! It's just a pair of shoes!!!???!!

10 voices:

stardust said...

Yes I am not buying Crocs yet!

$50 for a pair of toddlers's rubber slippers is riddiculous. I can buy 2 or 3 pair of nice normal sandals with that kind of price.

I will consider when Vince is older and feet is not growing that fast.

秉鸿娘亲 Mom of Everett said...

hahaa... today I just bought Everett his 2nd pair of crocs. 1st pair of "Disney kids cayman" lasted nearly to a year (size 8/9) and the 2nd pair (size 10/11) of "Bob the builder kids cayman" hopefully can last him longer.

For Mon-Thur, Everett will wear his sport shoes or sandals to CC. On Fri, he will wear his crocs cos is water-play day. I am training him to wear socks and all types of shoes by himself. For crocs, make sure they wear with the ankles support (don't push the support strips to the front), and make sure their toes nail are trimmed.

As for the price, I do admit that it is steep :) I think there always a reason for anyone to spend on something.

Anonymous said...

Personally I hate Crocs shoes! I think the design is awful and the material (may) make my sweaty feet stink.

But each to its own. Some people love it like crazy.

My hubby and my boys are wearing 'imitations' My hubby's cost S$5.90 and my Boys' first pair cost S$3.90 each.

Of cos' the big difference is that the imitations can't take the slippery test, but the 'REAL' ones (I heard) is slip-proof!

Meekfreek said...

Angie,
No need to pay full price! You can go to Singapore Motherhood and join a spree and get them for $26 to $30. Plus you can also order the Jibbitz for $1.20 per piece.

Izzy has 3 pairs and she can run very fast in them. 2 X Mary Jane and 1 X Cayman. All full with deco. Me also got a pair of Sassari.

I find they are comfortable for the kids and let their feet breathe and are not tight or restrictive like other covered shoes. That is why medical personnel wear them at the hospital.

With regard to the escalator accidents, I do think that keeping your kid within the yellow lines will allieviate the issue of the shoes getting stuck. Afterall, I have seen shoelaces and slippers get stuck in there too.

Alternatively, you can get the knock off version (looks and feels the same) for about $3 per pair from those HDB shops.

viv said...

haha ezra also have "alligator" shoes (HDB's cros shoes).... he runs FAST in them... think they are very comfortable & light for kids!! but to pay 50 bucks.. no way!!

Joyce Long said...

Hi Angie,

After buying the real crocs for cherrlyn..I am still thinking of buying another pair..but fake this time.

If you thinking of getting for Jae..Si Ma Lu temple has a lot..cheap and get plenty of nice colours. $3-material not so good..a bit hard loh..$5+ is more comfortable..oh yes..they do sell nice shoe pins..also cheap loh...

Anonymous said...

Faith is wearing her 2nd pair of Disney Crocs. She loved her Crocs so much that we got her the exact same design & colour when she outgrew the first. How boring right? But comfort is of paramount importance to us. I prefer her to wear them than her thong slippers cos they won't slip out, especially during water play. It allows the feet to breathe too so they don't stink up. As for running in them, there shouldn't be a problem unless they are of the wrong size.

With regard to escalator accidents... I always believe in teaching the child to keep within the yellow lines and to keep still on escalators. It's when the kids let their shoes brush against the sides or inching too closely to the "teeth" that shoes (regardless of material) can get caught.

Anonymous said...

I still can remember I spend $12 for the crocs that I bought for eunice! Heartache ah!!

As she is SO ACTIVE and never want to listen we always have to carry her when using the escalator if she is wearing the crocs!!!

Clement said...

viana, where did you buy the crocs for $12? authentic ones or not?

if its imitation crocs, then shdn't hv any problems with escalators lah, cos its not the same non-slip materials as the authentic ones.

Aces Family said...

Hi Angie,

Well, i guess it's ok to try Crocs but just be very mindful when on escalators..which i think all parents will do likewise, regardless crocs or not.. : )

rgds,
astee