Sunday, November 4

How Old Is He?

When Jaimie got up from her afternoon nap (she slept from 1.30pm till 3.15pm) today, I decided to bring her out for a stroll around the neighbourhood. Mommy said that was a great idea, 'cos she would then be able to get her housework done without the little one running around the house.

Pushing Jae on her pink tricycle, we ventured to a playground that wasn't too far away from our place (just one street away, actually), but where ah-girl has never been to. [Note: We'd very recently decided to 'boycott' the playground at Bt Panjang Plaza, after we noticed no less than 4 nasty looking insect bites on the poor girl's arms and legs immediately after a session at that location.]

As Jae was having fun at the slides, a mother who was with her about-a-year-old-son, asked me:

"How old is he?"

Previously, I'd have offered to correct the gender mistake in such questions, but I guess I've had enough of the same meek apologetic response, so I merely smiled and replied:

"18-months."

"Oh. One-and-a-half-years-old...", she demonstrated her mathematical prowess and went back to playing with her son.

I certainly do not hold the least bit against the lady, nor with anyone else who had popped the very same question in the past (the previous one was the balloon-sculpting clown at Sentosa who made Jae a nice balloon doggie yesterday). Watching Jae in blue t-shirt and shorts outfit, deftly navigating the playground structure and dashing around on the synthetic play area, even I feel like calling out "Ah Boy ah..."

2 voices:

LZmommy said...

I can understand how you feel.... My girl looked like a boy when she was at Jae's age. I gave up telling others she is a girl! :)

I heard that girl looking like a boy when they are young, will grow up to be a pretty little girl. Hehehe... I choose to believe that :)

Clement said...

Hahah! Really?! If there's this saying, then I'd also want to choose to believe it is true! ;P