Tuesday, August 21

All The Best, Nicky!

Nic just informed me over sms that he has tendered in his resignation.

Nic: Have you heard who is the latest to resign?!
Me: No. Pray tell.
Nic: Head Ops 3rd Div!
Me: Zoon boh? Did you really? Let's lunch later.

So far, besides his immediate boss, Nic said I'm the only one whom he has told of his pending exit. He asked that I act surprise when I hear the news subsequently from the grapevine. I assured him that my acting skills surely are better than those of 黄俊雄 aka Elvin Ng of Mediacorp.

While this isn't exactly 'shocking' news in the sense that I've known that Nic has been 'looking around' for a long time already, I have to say that I'm still pretty shaken up now that it has finally happened for real. This is someone who has joined the organisation together with me 11 years ago. We went through the same 9-month basic training, worked in the same department, trained for IPPT together, griped about the same bosses, fantasised about possible entrepeunistic ventures, discussed movies and comics and PS2 games, queued up at Kinokuniya to get Neil Gaiman's autograph....Heck, this is the chap I'd turn to whenever work gets too tough and I just want to let out one of those "Aiyah, 我不干了!Maybe I'd quit lah!" cries, and can be counted on to sing the same tune with me. I think he knows deep down that despite all the big talk, what I'm looking for is just an avenue to vent my frustrations, nothing more. At my end, I guess I've always naively hoped that Nic is like me.

Well, I guess not.

For Nic, I feel genuine happiness, for his finally being able to step out of the 'salary trap' that keeps most people, like me, from leaving the organisation. For Nic, I have great admiration, for his courage and determination to pursue his dreams. For Nic, I am deeply grateful for his friendship and camaraderie over the past decade, and for his listening ear.

And now, what's left is for me to offer my sincere handshake and congratulations to Nic when I meet him for lunch later. Our 11 of colleagueship is about to end.

For this, I do feel a certain tinge of sadness.

0 voices: