Saturday, July 7

Yoga and Me

At about 6 years ago, when my best friend Happypig told me that she took up yoga lessons, I remembered myself pointing at her nose and laughing so hard. "why bother to learn how to put your leg around your neck??" i asked her.

Now, i am a big fan of yoga.

In 2002, my buddy Ah Leng asked me if i would be interested to join her for a yoga beginner course in Chua Chu Kang CC. Oh well, since i had nothing else better to do, i might as well learn how to put my leg around my neck. During the 8 week course, we learnt some theories and some really basic poses.

I did more yoga when i was in UK. I was so bored of jogging and following the VCDs to some aerobics everyday. I asked Clement to go online to get me a yoga DVD so that i can DIY at home. Clement, as usual, did his thorough research and found this yoga DVD by Geri, the ex spice girl who claimed to lose so much weight by doing yoga. Anything that claims to lose weight is of interest to me. I did yoga regularly. i felt my flexibility improved but no lost in weight. I think that's because we BBQ almost every weekend during summer in UK!

I stopped yoga for a while after i came back from UK. then Happypig and i had some free time in school and we decided to do some yoga on our own. I really enjoyed stretching my body and challenging myself to do the poses.

When i saw the advertisment in the underground pass in scots road about the 2nd mega yoga studio opening in Takashimaya soon, i didnt take long to make my way there to find out more. I signed a 1 year contract with them after talking to the consultant, Damien. and i made Clement sign up too so that we can do yoga together.

It's really different doing yoga at home and in the studio. When I do yoga in a class, i real very motivated and happy. Plus there is an instructor to correct us and guide us. It makes a lot of difference. I didnt kn i was doing all the wrong things until i attended the classes in Pure Yoga. I began to read up more on yoga and its philosophy, and i am so fanisinated by this ancient art. I didnt know what is "lightness" and "happiness" people talked about when they spoke of yoga. but i experienced it myself!! it's so amazing! I upgraded my plan to a 2 year contract, knowing that yoga is something i would love to do always. By the way, till now, i am still unable to wrap my leg around my neck.

The instructors in Pure Yoga are simply GREAT. there are only "good" and "better" ones. I hv never walked out of a class feeling angry with any instructor. My all time favourite yoga teacher is Shyam but he left Pure Yoga last October. And there is Ross, who is a very, very good teacher. He is also my favourite teacher. And Hanoi, the most handsome instructor in Pure Yoga is leaving Singapore to teach yoga in Bangkok soon. So sad.

With Jaimie now and with my demanding work schedule, i have less time for yoga now. I will continue to do yoga even if i am just doing it once a fortnight. And I am waiting for jaimie to grow up so that i can bring her to do kids yoga! ooo... to think that jaimie can i doing yoga together already makes me so happy!

(My buddy Ah Leng, Hanoi and me posing after a yoga class)

(One of my favourite Yoga Teacher, Ross)

1 voices:

Clement said...

After all these yoga practice, I don't think I have improved alot leh. Still cannot do even the simple bow pose. Aiyo.

Oh, just realised the previous yoga-related blog entry was this one: http://kinigu.blogspot.com/2006/03/potential.html