Monday, March 22

What A Weekend!

This is Jaimie's most "memorable" weekend so far, I suppose!

Saturday

The UK gang met up on Saturday because Cedric and Elodie had a 5hour transit in Spore on their way back to Paris. Good food is what we always look out for so we had dinner at Jumbo Seafood Restaurant at ECP. The guys sat at one table while the mommies and the children sat at the other. The children, of course, find it hard to sit on their chairs after they were done with their dinner so they ran to their daddies, ran to the grass patch nearby, ran round the table, ran back... I made sure I kept an eye on her and know where she was. At about 8pm, I saw her running with the other kids to the grass patch so I turned to talk to Elodie while I enjoy my dessert. Suddenly, Clement discovered that Jaimie was missing!

We ran round the places where the kids were playing Jaimie was nowhere to be found! After running for not-very-long-but-it-certainly-felt-very-long, and searching for Jaimie among the huge crowd, I was so worried that I was about to cry. Suddenly, I thought I should check with the counter to see if anybody had seen her. When I turned my head to the counter inside the restaurant, I nearly cried in relief because I saw one of the staff carrying Jaimie and some were pacifying the tearing girl. I ran over to carrying her and hugged her tight in my arms. When I asked her, she said she ran to the grass patch to play (she sometimes detach herself from other kids and prefers her personal space) and she couldn't find our table. Indeed it was quite difficult to locate our tables among the many, many, many tables around the restaurant, just like I cannot find my seat in the aeroplane without looking at the seat number.

It was a very scary moment for both us and Jaimie.



Sunday

Clement was playing with Jaimie at the sofa area near the pool and he pulled at her wrist to help her rise from a lying position to an upright one. It is something they do often. Then, after a minute or two, Jaimie complained that her left elbow hurt and she was crying very badly. When Clement brought the all teary Jaimie home, I saw her holding her left hand in an awkward position, refusing to move it and I knew something happened to her. I remembered my friend, Happypig, shared with me the same incident which happened to her elder daughter a few years back. I checked her wrist by asking her to stretch out her fingers to do "twinkle twinkle little star". She's ok. Then I asked her to bend her elbows. She refused and cried that her hand hurt. We quickly brought Jaimie to the GP but we were advised to send Jaimie to A&E.

I think Clement drove to NUH in 110km/h.

The children's A&E in NUH was very efficient and fast. They registered her checked for Jaimie's medical history, took her weight, blood pressure, asked what happened, made a record and the doctors attended to her shortly. By the way, if you can remember during such traumatic moments, bring your child's BC along to the hospital. Of course I didn't know and didn't bring but they were okay with it. The doctors checked her hand and said that the joint in her elbow was pulled out of her socket. They could fix it back instantaneously but it would be a very painful moment for Jaimie. It was a common accident among 2-4 year old children. We used to play "lifting" with them when they were young and it's ok but as they grow older, their weight increased and we should not be doing the same anymore.

The doctor distracted Jaimie by asking her for her name and if she watched 倚天屠龙记. I was thinking to myself "Walau, doctor!! Do you know how to talk to children?" and while I was also distracted, the doctor bended Jaimie's elbow skillfully and joint clicked back to the socket. Jaimie was crying out real loud (I nearly wanted to cry too). I hugged and consoled her. The doctors rewarded her with some stickers. She picked one with her right hand and she was asked to pick another with her left hand. She could!!! She was well again!!!

We all left NUH happily but my blood pressure had not gone down from the trauma. We were so thankful that Jaimie didn't need a cast or an elbow sling. She didn't even need an X ray.


My Conclusion

(1) Accidents of all sorts happen. It is impossible to keep an eye on your child/ protect your child 24/7.

(2) There is no need to reprimand the other parent for such accidents. We all felt bad enough and we definitely do not wished for such accidents to happen.

(3) Children will learn their lessons and they will grow up.

(4) Remember to blog about such incidents!! :D

20 voices:

levine said...

must sayang her even more! ;)

Meekfreek said...

Oh! Scary. Glad she's ok. I didn't know that you aren't supposed to lift kids like that. I've been swinging izzy around by her arms!

wolfgirl said...

MF,
Yes, should avoid swinging them now.. even if there is no accidents, their ligaments will be overstretched.. causing weakness and makes them more prone to injuries in future.

Angie, It is a really traumatic weekend for your family. Fortunately the A&E was efficient.. cannot imagine Jaimie waiting in pain...

Clement said...

the condition's called "pulled elbow". According to the intern (i think cos she's really young), it's more a ligament misalignment than an actual bone dislocation. apparently this is pretty common for kids between 2-4 yo because this is the period when grow spurts occur, and activities that used to be ok previously arn't anymore due to the extra weight they've put on. Jaimie is now 15.9kg. i think she put on a whole kilo in the past couple of months

they say bad stuff come in threes.
Strike 1: car kenna bumped from behind on Wed
Strike 2: Jae got lost on Sat
Strike 3: Jae kenna pulled elbow.

hope we'd be on the up curve now.

Meekfreek said...

Oh, yes should stop swinging her by her arms....overstretched ligaments...hmmm....no wonder she drags her arms when she walks. I thought she inherited that from Jeff!

Eh Clement....your car fixed or not?

Clement said...

not yet. they called me this morning to inform that i have been discharged of all liabilities and arrangements will be made for me to send in the car for repairs. that's gd new of course but means i may be without a car for that few days.

stardust said...

Oh no, hope you are mentally and physically feeling better now...

I've been teaching Vince what to do should he really get lost... - what do you think of asking him to go to approach auntie or uncle bring him to police station though I doubt children can remain calm without crying, Vince also too shy... Vince can remember our home address but not our handphone nos. yet.

Jocelyn said...

That's scary, I must also stop lifting my gal by her arm but sometime when you're angry n yr child refuses to move, guess it'll just slipped our mind not to pull the child up by the wrist.

happypig said...

如果没有记错,萱洁手脱臼的时候好像也是这个年龄。
我们那时候担心国大难等,就直接带她到中医诊所了。

Meekfreek said...

Clement,
Ask the insurance company (if the other party is using insurance to pay)to provide you with a courtesy vehicle.

Lydia said...

me had dinner at the same place last tuesday and me knows what the crowd is like... me lost Tiffy when she was just 3yo(me thinks) and me knows what it is to be searching for "not-very-long-but-it-certainly-felt-very-long" and "so worried/abt to cry "... what a relief to finally find her, yup! :)

and the pulled elbow sounds really scary... me gotta stop playing swing w my 2yo now! me thinks maybe the doc tried to distract the mommy when she mentioned "倚天屠龙记"... and wow she is really good lor, with a twist and all is fine... cool man!

Angie, me always nvr do the #4 of your conclusion :P *Hugs* to you whom me believes was quite a "memorable" weekend for you too ;)

Super glad that all is well with Jae & Papa's car("discharged of all liabilities") :):):)

Clement said...

I did get a courtesy car the previous times someone hit my car's behind (my cars have attractive behinds). For those durations when I was driving the courtesy cars, I bought the optional insurance for these vehicles. These I have to fork out from my own pocket even though the charges for the courtesy car was borne by the other chaps' insurance.

This time round, I am considering not getting the courtesy car but to get that $50/$60 per day transport allowance instead. Can pay for taxi/MRT fares.

Anonymous said...

Aiyo! It must have been traumatic. I'm very KS, I always tell Faith what to do in times of emergency, like what if the lift door closes before we get in (she'll go back to the ground floor & wait for me); if she gets lost (to stay where she is and wait for help, to call us if someone has a phone); and which numbers to call if an emergency happens at home.

Hope Jae isn't too traumatised by the entire weekend of events. Glad to hear she's perfectly fine!

Angie said...

Jae is fine, thanks everybody!

Diana, Jaimie was too traumatised to remember Clement's phone number although she knows it. Unlike Faith, Jaimie hasn't much sense of danger and emergency. I believe the "emergencies" and "accidents" we told her sound very distant and unreal to her and she doesn't really bother. If she did bother the least, she wont be running off without us so frequently. Sigh! I sure hope the incident makes her learn her lesson!!

viv said...

oh dear poor girl.. just so glad to hear she is well liao!!

viv said...

oh dear poor girl.. just so glad to hear she is well liao!!

Joyce Long said...

Oh dear, hope when I read this post...jae is fine..

Idy said...

What a nerve wrecking weekend! Good to hear that she is ok now.

Anonymous said...

It's also advisable to have a photocopy of your child's BC in your wallet, in case of emergency.

LZmommy said...

Glad to know that Jaimie is ok..