Saturday, December 26

Hakka Thunder Tea Rice (Stall number 5)

I was chatting away with my beautician when I was doing my facial the other day and I shared with her about my TTR craze. She told me she knew of one very good TTR in Boon Lay Hawker Centre. I was thrilled!

This morning after a 35min jog on the threadmill, Clement and I decided to continue with our healthy lifestyle by walking to Boon Lay Place and eat TTR. It took us about 30mins to take a lesiure walk there. It's the famous hawker centre opposite UOB banking bldg, beside a Chinese temple.

Tah-Dah!! I found it!


This TTR stall has won many awards.


$3 for white rice, $3.50 for brown rice. Yummy!


Tea garnished with corriander. Yummy!



After I ate the Geylang TTR, I went to google what is "河婆" because it is such a strange name for a stall. I found out that it is the name of a Hakka Clan. This type of TTR belongs to the same clan as the one in Geylang.
My verdict: this is the BEST TTR in Spore! If the one in Geylang is 10/10, I give this a 12/10. The Joo Chiat TTR is pale in comparision now. The soup is not bitter at all. In fact, the corriandor gives a very nice aroma to the tea. The serving is very generous. I could taste (and see!) quite a lot of dried shrimp used in the frying of the vegetables. Absolutely yummy!!
Then we decided to take a walk back home. On my way back, I couldn't wait and sms-ed my other TTR craze friend, MF and Joyce. MF replied within a second to tell me she to give her the address and she would be on her way there. IMMEDIATELY. *salute*
We took a different route home and we walked past another hawker centre. This banner caught my attention... OMG! They have another branch!! This one is even nearer! 10mins walk!!
However, this hawker centre is much crowded than the one in Boon Lay and it is sometimes quite difficult to find a parking lot. If you prefer to come to this one and you manage to find a lot, you must remember to get some cheap fruits at the row of fruit stalls adjacent to the hawker centre. :D
What a healthy and fruitful morning for me!

6 voices:

Meekfreek said...

I tried this TTR after you messaged me.....Jeff likes it because its very tasty. The soup uses ground peanuts and not groundnuts I suspect. Not bitter at all. I still prefer Geylang for a more authentic taste but over all this one is better than the one in Vivo and Amoy St.

Joyce Long said...

Wah..you guys walked to BL MRT..that is a long workout..thumbs up : )

Angeline said...

We go to the Jurong West Market often, so may wanna consider trying that before heading down to the one at Boon Lay.
Though same stall, but the 'chief' is different. Have you tried both? is their standard the same?

ShanZen - Brightsong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ShanZen - Brightsong said...

Thanks for adding me to your blog! :) I've been looking around for your book at Kino the other day but I only had 5 mins at the bookstore with my kid, so didn't manage to see it yet. :) Regards the art program, you may get my private email from Astee or Shelia, and we can mail further?

BTW, lei cha is also one of my favourites. I used to have it often when I was pregnant with my 2nd, near my former workplace's amoy st food centre. But Boon Lay is too far from where I stay, sigh...

The Lim Family said...

Been to Jurong West every Sat to do marketing for the past few years didn't know got a TTR. May try it on my next trip to taste what's TTR all about.
Btw have a Happy and Prosperous New Year!