Tuesday, December 23

Ip's The Man!

He's strong. He's courageous. His moves are lightning fast. He fights for honour and justice.

No, he isn't Superman. Nope, not Batman nor Ultraman nor Spiderman nor Iron Man either.

He's Ip Man. (Do I hear groans of protest?)

Ok ok....I admit that was lame. But the movie certainly wasn't. After viewing, I couldn't help but feel that the storyline and tone of the movie was reminscent of the 2006 film "Fearless", which starred Jet Li. Both films told the stories of kungfu masters who fought foreign adversaries, stood up for the honour and sovereignty of their race and country, and ultimately through their actions, aroused and galvanised the fighting spirits among their fellow countrymen. In terms of movie direction and choreography of fight scenes, I prefer the superfast, hard hitting style of Donnie Yen in this film to the more stylised, slow-mo sequences by Jet Li in the "Fearless" flick.

For a more proper review of the movie "Ip Man" by the co-author of this blog, please click here.

***********************************************

After the movie, Angie and I wondered around the newly opened sections of Jurong Point, which is now double its previous size before the revamp. Harris was having some sort of opening sales. I instantly gravitated towards the graphic novel (ok...comics) section that had big read posters which read "30% off all graphic novels".

I bought this hardcover edition of "The Ultimates" compilation. Normally, I would expect this to cost in excess of S$60, but today I only had to pay ~S$30. I am happy with this purchase. :)

3 voices:

LZmommy said...

You must be a fan of Donnie Yen :) My hub is too!

wolfgirl said...

Donnie Yen! Donnie Yen!
I liked him since Pri school days when I watched his kungfu movies.

And SPL was amazing. Will try to catch Ip Man.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!