Monday, June 23

Jee Jee

We brought Jae to the Jurong Regional Library over the weekend, 'cos mommy wanted to look for a book she couldn't find at the Bt Panjang Community Library, which we normally visit.

Upon reaching the children section of the library, Jae very quickly settled down on one of those brightly-coloured, kid-sized tables. She then proceed to plough through the stack of books on the table, as well as on the nearby shelves and chose (yes, she actually picked up each book and decided if she wanted it or not - I think she's literally judging the books by their covers here) some to ask me to read to her.

One of the books that we read together was titled "The Cat Goes Fiddle-I-Fee!". I recall procrastinating whether to pronounce those words as "fiddle-ee-fee" or "fiddle-eye-fee". I opted for the former 'cos I think that sounded better. This book was one of those written in the vein of "Twelve Days of Christmas" - you know, those cumulative rhytmes where each time something new gets introduced you add it onto a list of items that gets longer as the story progresses. The "story" here is very simply about the sounds that each animal makes e.g.

The pig goes griffy gruffy
The horse goes neigh neigh
The duck goes quack quack
The hen goes chimmy-chuck, chimmy-chuck...

...and of course, the cat goes fiddle-i-fee

Quite a cute book, with cute pictures of the various animals. Jae enjoyed it (well, she did sit through the entire book) as I did reading it to her.

As we were leaving the library (mommy didn't find the book she was looking for, btw - it had been borrowed by another chap earlier that same day), Jae, who was walking beside me and holding my hand, turned to me and said "Papa. Jee Jee."

Mentally, I went through the list of animals we'd just been reading about but try as I might, I couldn't recall any one that went Jee Jee leh. So, I asked her,

"What is Jee Jee?"

There was a hint of exasperation in her reply -

"Jee Jee! 小便便!"

2 voices:

Anonymous said...

Good reading and hey, there's a new word now for shh...shhh...*wink*

Clement said...

haha. yah, "jee jee" is derivative of "orr-jee-jee" which is what Jae's por-por calls pee-ing.