Sunday, May 27

Missing You

I'm officially "On Duty" right now. Yes, it's the monthly DCPO task that I've got to perform at HQ SCDF. Since my current posting at the MHQ allows me to report to work in CV, the DCPO duty is the only reason why my Number 4 uniforms have not been sold off to the karung guni man.

Normally, for weekend duties, I'd pick the Sunday night shifts but today's duty was picked by Rachel on my behalf upon my request (was incapacitated when the i-DO system was opened for bookings). Night shifts are better than day ones 'cos you get to legitimately get some sleep (they call it 'rest' since sleeping on duty doesn't sound too good). In a typical 12 hour night shift, I'd usually get some 3 hours of shut-eyes. Now weekend 1st shift is from 0830hrs till 2030hrs. Frak, that's like from breakfast to dinner. And you don't get to make time pass faster by hitting the deck. For 12 hours, the golden hours of an otherwise beautiful Sunday no less, you get to fulyl appreciate just how slow time crawls when you're doing something you don't particularly enjoy doing. And when you're missing someone.

Especially when you're missing someone.

Weekends are really precious 'cos they are the 2 days when I can spend quality time with my two girls at home. This is just the way it is, with us being working parents and all. On weekdays we get but a miserably small window of family time after dinner and before bedtime. Can't really do something substantial, like going to a park, or a swim etc. Weekends are the only days in the week when me and the girls get to enjoy each others' companies from the moment we open our eyes (naturally, and NOT forcefully by the buzzing alarm clock!) till we slip into slumberland after spending an entire day's worth of activities together. As a family.

This morning, I left Angie and Jaimie after our breakfast at Blk 628 coffee shop. The trip to the playground would usually be something I look forward to after a weekend breakfast at that joint. But this morning I had to wave goodbye to my girls. Duty calls. Can't really complain, though. This is part and parcel of my job. And this job brings in the dough. And the guni hoon. And the pampers.

While at my DCPO desk, I got a call on my mobile at 1637hrs.

“你女儿要跟你讲话。” It was Angie on the line.
“哈啰?” I uttered each syllable slowly and deliberately.
“.......” said Jaimie.
“哈啰,媛媛。叫爸爸。” I tried again.
“....爸爸!” Came the reply.
“嗯。妈咪叻?叫妈咪。”
“妈妈!” shouted Jaimie. She doesn't do '妈咪' very well, yet.
“哇,媛媛好乖。要不要爸爸读 bookbook 给你听?”
“啊!”

And then Angie voice returned on the line. She said the little one slept for only 35 minutes during her afternoon nap, after a tiring one hour struggle to get her to fall asleep. “哪里有乖?!”, she complained.

It is now almost 8pm. Half an hour more till I stand down from my 12 hour shift. By the time I get back home, Jaimie would most likely already be in bed. I can almost picture her now... pacifier dangling from her half-opened mouth, pink blanket over her little torso, tummy rising and falling rhythmatically, a tired but blissful-looking mommy by her side...

I miss you, my dears.

1 voices:

Anonymous said...

Haiz, I can empathise with you. I too, have to perform DO, but unlike you, mine is only 8 hrs. But be it 8 hrs or 12 hrs, a day is gone, means quality time with family is gone too.

Hang in there.... let's hope we strike toto soon then we can all take it easier.