Monday, May 14

做一分钟的英雄

Yesterday was Mother's Day. It was also the day I got to sing into the same mic as taiwanese singer 杨培安, who is now fast becoming Angie and mine latest idol.

杨培安came to Bukit Panjang Plaza to promote his albums (both the debut as well as the 2nd album, which is, quite oddly, released in Singapore concurrently). The event is entitled 杨培安《我相信》音乐会,which we came to know about a few days back cos we noticed the backdrop being put up at the 2nd level foyer of BPP, which is adjacent to the playground where we always bring Jaimie to play.

Anyway...having decided that we would attend the event, we deposited Jaimie at MIL's place (which is just across the road from BPP) and went to the mall's foodcourt for lunch. When we got to the foyer where the temporary stage had been erected, 10 minutes before 2pm (which was the time the event was slated to commence), there were hardly any gathering. A couple of girls and one guy waiting at the stage front. That was all. I suggested that we sit somewhere to wait but Angie said no. "I want to wait here. In front. At the centre." she said. Ok lor...

What do you know. Once the 100.3 DJ came on stage and said “ 哈罗!大家好!”,people started streaming in from nowhere and congregated real quickly at the stage area. Soon, there were like at least a hundred strong audience waiting eagerly for the appearance of 杨培安. The DJ host did a good job of priming the audience by giving anecdotes of the singer, on how he began his singing career at pubs at age 17, but only got discovered and offered the opportunity to cut his debut album 《我相信》 at the ripe age of 35. Etc etc.

杨培安 was called onto stage amidst bouts of shoutings and clappings at around 2.15pm. Not surprisingly, the first song he belted out was the 主打歌 from his debut album “我相信”。 As the 过门was playing, 杨培安asked the audience if anyone knew how to sing this song. Having watched the YouTube MV of this song in the BayB Supplies Forum thread posted by wolfgirl, I have since learnt the lyrics by heart. So I sort of nodded my head in supportive response. I mean, singers usually would rally the audience to sing along with them, clap hands and all that. Right? What I didn't expect was when 杨培安 told me he'd come to me and have me sing the chorus portion together with him! Alamak! First thought that flashed through my mind was "What if I 忘词?" Well, there was nowhere to run, nor hide. I was stuck in the front row, pressed against the railing, and had a huge crowd on either side and to the back as well. So, that was it. I braced myself when 杨培安 jumped down the stage and came towards me, thrusting the mic towards my face.

And I had my one minute of fame.

0 voices: