Sunday, August 26

The Singapore Bay Run 2007

Ah Seng cajoled me to take part in the Sheares Bridge Run & Army Half Marathon event. For him, the 21km run was a compulsory, annual affair. Being the first time participating in this event, of course I didn't sign up for the Army Half. Not even the 12km. Modestly, I decided to just do the 6km "fun run".

I signed up for the run some two weeks ago, at Yishun SAFRA (the online registration was already closed by then). Registration fee for the 6km run was $12, for non-SAFRA members (HTNS membership didn't count). I was handed a dry-fit Bay Run T-shirt, and a number tag. Not bad leh, I thought, though I have been told previous years' T-shirts were better (Alvin: This year's T-shirt material very thin. And the design very ugly!)
My Singapore Bay Run T-shirt with number tag

To get myself well-rested in preparation for the run, I went to bed earlier than usual last night, at 11:30pm. I set the alarm on my watch to sound at 5.35am. I'm not sure if it was the warm weather, or Jaimie tossing and turning beside me, or the mental pressures due to the deliberateness of my intentions, I found myself totally unable to fall asleep. Eventually, I only managed to doze off at around 2am. So much for good intentions. Darn...

Some three-and-a-half hours later, I got up. Didn't feel quite as rested as I'd hope to be, but wasn't about to change my mind about the run. Ate two bananas that Angie had gotten for me, and headed out.

While I had been told that "there'd be 60,000 people attending this event and there's no way you'd be able to find a parking lot at Marina Square by the time you're there", I still decided to try my luck, having woken up earlier than I needed to be for the 6km run, which was to be flagged off at 8am. True enough, the Marina Square carpark was jammed packed with cars. Even the handicapped lots were occupied, as well as any nooks and corners that drivers could position their cars without blocking other vehicles too much. Just as I was about to give up and try other another carpark further away, I noticed this chap in his car cranking up his engine. Many envious, not-as-lucky drivers drove past me as I reversed into the freshly vacated lot.

Since I was there early, I had an hour or so to while away before commencing my run. Spent most of it at the floating platform area, watching those super fast runners of the 21km run (who started their runs at 5:30am) making their jubilent last hundred metres dash through the finishing line. Noticed that amongst the competitors who came in early past the finishing line, there were quite a number of females, and also veteran runners. Utmost respect is what I have for these people. I sat at the spectator stand of the floating platform, listening to the high-energy tracks like "Eye of the Tiger" that the DJ was playing, and watching the very beautiful sight of sunrise over the horizon. The environment was nothing short of electrifying.

It didn't feel long at all when I realised that the time was 15 minutes prior to flag off time. Together with a large crowd, I made my way from the floating platform to Esplanade Bridge, which was the designated starting point for the 6km run. While waiting on the bridge, we were treated to some fringe performances by some samba percussion group and some costumed chaps on stilts. Defence Minister Mr Teo Chee Hean arrived on the dot, at 8am to officiate the flag off. The crowd let out a cheer and then off we went.

For my run, there wasn't really much that I can be proud of to want to recount over here. It didn't do much good to one's pride when one got overtaken by 小妹妹s and 老伯伯s one too many times. Suffice to say that I'm just happy that I crossed the finishing line on my twos instead of fours.

Will I be there again for next year's run?

If the T-shirt is nicer, perhaps.

0 voices: